When you were a child, you didn’t care about calories or carbs.
Organic and Grass Fed meant nothing to you.
You didn’t worry about eating 30 grams of protein within a 1/2 hour of waking up, or setting time limits like, no eating after 7:00 p.m.
You didn’t starve or binge.
You weren’t an emotional eater.
You didn’t know that there was “good” food and “bad” food.
When did things change and how can you get back to enjoying food? I’m not talking about eating less or more, but how can you eat better?
10 simple ways
- Eat with wonder. Be in awe over the flavor of a pear.
- Buy a farm share. Support a local farm and remember the meaning of fresh.
- Eat Colors not Calories. There is so much goodness in every piece of fruit and veggie you eat.
- Cook with 5 ingredients or less. Your recipe doesn’t have to be a mile long to taste good.
- Grow your own tiny garden. Keep it simple and grow what you love.
- Don’t clean your plate. Stop eating when you are full.
- Don’t eat in your car or at your desk.
- Set up a no thinking cooking routine.
- Read Seasonal Simplicity by Lisa Fine
- Eat when you are hungry.
We all have a unique relationship with food. Some of us have been gaining and losing the same twenty pounds for twenty years. Some fear what they eat will eventually kill them. Others have been eating out of anger, frustration or sadness for so long, that they don’t remember how to eat to nourish their bodies, or how to enjoy a meal.
Regardless of where you are today with food and weight, find a childhood food memory that reminds you what it’s like to enjoy food. It might be a strawberry you picked with your mom and ate right off the plant, without even washing it! (gasp) Maybe you licked the bowl after your mom made a cake from scratch, and you didn’t die from the raw eggs in the batter.
Sometimes, analyzing every bite becomes exhausting. Get simple with your food. Let joy jump start new habits. Make healthy choices but don’t forget to indulge in some childhood favorites or new creations.
What is one of your favorite childhood food memories?