5 Reasons to Start Before You are Ready
In most circumstances, being prepared is highly overrated.
Have you ever spent more time getting ready for something than you did actually doing the something?
From blogging to exercising, changing careers or launching a new business, you can get lost in getting ready. While some preparing is necessary, be mindful of your actions.
There is a fine line between preparation and procrastination.
Getting ready is comfortable, because no actual leap has taken place. Getting ready is fun, because you there is no commitment in place. Getting ready is distracting, because you start to think that you don’t know what you are doing, so you need to spend more time getting ready.
5 reasons to start right now
- You don’t know what you don’t know. Until you actually get started, you won’t really know what you don’t know. The quickest way to learn is to experience.
- Joyfear. Leo Babauta may have coined the term, but it could be my next tattoo. Joyfear is this amazing feeling that could be mistaken for an anxiety attack if you aren’t paying attention. It can feel like a racing heart or a lump in your throat. It can also feel like flying. When you are doing something that you aren’t completely prepared for, but know you will be really good at, you will feel joy fear. Embrace it.
- Perfectionism. If you spend too much time getting ready, you might be a perfectionist. Boycott perfection.
- Lizard brain. That little part of your brain will always be there and the only defense you have is action.
- Momentum. When you actually get started, and turn your emotion into energy, your energy into action, and your action into something meaningful, momentum steps in and lends a hand.
Right now is the right time to get started. Put your excuses on the table and knock them out one by one. Let me know if you need help.
What are you waiting for?
image credit: Zen Habits
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to Be More with Less & share on twitter.