Brevity is the concise and exact use of words in writing or speech. Brevity isn’t rude or angry, but instead demonstrates that you value time and real connection.
Be brief with …
You do not need to include:
- I’m away from my phone (obviously)
- You’ve reached my cell phone (who cares?)
“Hi, this is ___________. Please leave a message.” will work.
This is a one-way conversation. Stick to the details and save the rest for the actual phone call.
- Reply All is rarely necessary. Use sparingly.
- When sending a mass email, use Bcc.
- Follow 5 rules for email sanity.
Use the most important words and dump the rest or as Hemingway said, “write drunk, edit sober.”
Say less and we will listen more closely.
Brevity and kindness are not mutually exclusive. Demonstrate your loving kindness by respecting the limited resources of time and attention.