A simple wardrobe opens the door for easier mornings, better decision-making and more clarity. If you are wondering where to start, consider these dos and don’ts when simplifying your closet.
1. Sort your clothing into piles: Keep/Donate/Store.
2. Invite a friend if you have trouble letting go.
3. Get support.
4. Donate your clothing to organizations and people who need it more than you.
5. Find capsule wardrobe inspiration on Pinterest.
6. Banish guilt.
7. Turn up the tunes.
8. Box up anything you aren’t ready to let go of and put it out of sight.
9. Revisit your simple closet in 3 weeks and see what else can go.
10. Honestly assess how much money you spent on clothing/accessories/jewelry/shoes last year.
11. Write down what you would do with that money if someone handed it to you today.
12. Take a break if you feel overwhelmed.
13. Look forward to simpler mornings.
14. Take before and after pictures.
15. Share pictures of your serene closet with hashtag #project333.
17. Inspire others by sharing your experience.
18. Lead by example and then challenge your kids to simplify their closets.
19. Celebrate your accomplishment.
20. Give Project 333 3 Months to help you identify what enough means to you.
21. Connect. We are all in this together.
Undo (or Don’t)
22. Hold on to clothes that might fit someday. (that haven’t fit in years)
23. Save clothes for sentimental reasons. (take a picture instead)
24. Worry about what other people will think.
25. Buy stuff to organize your stuff.
26. Worry about trends.
27. Wait for a better time.
28. Keep things just because they are expensive. (or you will just keep paying)
29. Let your clothes speak for you.
30. Stress … this isn’t brain surgery.
31. Just move things around.
33. Act on the impulse to fill up the empty space.