When Project 333 started on October 1st, 2010, I thought it would be fun. I thought it would be challenging. I thought it would be revealing. What I didn’t know is how dramatically it would improve my life.
7 Ways Dressing with Less will Improve Your Life
1. I am ready on time. My husband may disagree that I am ready on time, every time, but he will tell you that it takes me less time to get ready. There is no changing into several outfits trying to decide on the perfect thing to wear. I love that I can be ready with a moment’s notice.
2. I don’t shop for clothes. Prior to Project 333, if I was shopping, I would “pick something up” to spruce up my wardrobe. Sometimes I would buy something because I was “sick of everything in my closet” or “I had nothing to wear”. Sometimes it was love. “I LOVE those shoes.” I can honestly say, that doesn’t happen to me anymore. Yes, I admire fashion, but I don’t have have a desire for more. Now I plan to shop the week before each new phase, if needed. When I buy something new, it will be thoughtfully considered as part of my quarterly capsule wardrobe.
3. I look better. Almost each of my 33 pieces work well together. Because I chose each item to fit well, be well made and be versatile, when I get dressed, it looks like I did it on purpose vs. just throwing something on. While people don’t notice that I am working with a very small collection of clothes, they do notice that what I wear compliments my body. Trust me when I say, this was not always the case.
4. I am meeting really cool, like minded people. Yes, I’m talking about you! Through twitter, facebook, and email we are connecting. I love that I have this great opportunity to exchange ideas and encouragement with smart men and woman who want to simplify their lives.
5. I am maintaining a healthy weight. Dressing with less isn’t directly helping me to cut calories, but gone are the days of skinny clothes and fat clothes. Knowing that I am working with clothes that fit, I am determined to make them fit for three months. (If you do gain or lose a significant amount of weight during your 3 months, please replace clothing that does not fit. This is not a project in suffering.)
6. I have more time. Because I am not thinking about what I am going to wear, trying on clothes, shopping for clothes or worrying about what I am wearing or what I am missing, I have more time and attention for things and people that that I care about.
7. I have more money. The 33 items in Project 333 include accessories like jewelry, sunglasses, and purses. I really like those things and used to spend gobs of money on them. Now, I appreciate them, but they are not important to me. I also spend less at the dry cleaner because the majority of my items can be washed by me.