Maybe you’ve been considering Project 333, or just arrived here for the very first time. Perhaps you got started and then got frustrated, or maybe you recently said, “I’ll start that next year.”
You could start next year, or the year after that or in ten years. Or, you could decide that the right time is right now.
Here is a little advice and encouragement from people who’ve done it themselves if you decide to jump in.
What is your best tip for someone just getting started with Project 333?
- It helps to put stuff in storage and not feel like you need to part with all of it for good. If you put almost everything you take out of your closet away in storage for 3 months there is a good chance you will be willing to part with some of it after that.
- Have no fear. You won’t mess up!
- Start by getting rid of clothes you actually dislike.
- Once something goes into the discard pile, it CANNOT be retrieved.
- I did this last year. Made piles. 1) keep 2) think about 3) donate 4) trash. I put all the think about in a drawer and the hanging items on different color hangers that I turned backwards in the closet. Set a date and I had not even worn one item. All went to Goodwill. My closet looks so awesome and I feel great!
- Don’t choose things to take OUT of your wardrobe…take it all out and choose your favorite things to wear, put the rest in a bag/s or storage boxes (or at least hang in a different wardrobe) and then when the season changes get the stored clothing out and start again!
- Take it all out… Put more in storage than you want to… You’ll be amazed at how you don’t even want it.
- Go on a long trip and only take one suitcase of things you really need. All things at home if not needed in three months will not be missed.
- Connect with other people doing Project 333 for the first time or recruit a friend.
- Do not go shopping. Do not watch shopping channels. Do not surf online shopping sites.
- For every new item, sort an old one out!
- If it feels really hard to part with an item, remember that you can wear it in the next phase!
- Pick a color palet and stick to it.
- If you try to do everything at once, it’s overwhelming. Do it step by step and you will see success!
- Fear not! it will be okay; in fact it will be great!