While I typically like to stay firmly rooted in the present, I think there is something indulgent and exciting about taking a peek into a new year.
Instead of firm goal setting or setting resolutions, make a list of the things you’d love to do or start doing in the new year. A new year allows for a fresh start, clean slate or new approach. Actually, you can create those things for yourself anytime, but a new year is a special invitation to be bold, brave, and different.
Make a love list including every possible thing you would like to consider in life, love, business and relationships. What would you really love to do next year? What would you like to see? Who will you be and who will you be with?
Before you start your list, eliminate the roadblocks and dream killers. This is not a list for accountability. You won’t be crossing things off or crying over your undone tasks at the end of the year. Instead, use your list to fuel your creative pursuits and to encourage routine breaking behavior. Let your love list remind you what is most important in your life.
I know your brain and heart are starting to sync up and think about possibility, opportunity and all that lies ahead. Don’t stifle that by closing your email or jumping to the next thing. Instead, write your love list right now.
How you start is up to you but here are a few ideas.
- Curl up with a pencil and paper in your favorite place to be. Daydream in silence and write everything that comes to mind. Don’t edit or filter, just write. Star or highlight the 3 things you want to start first.
- Turn on your favorite music, gather colored pencils and paper and doodle away as you make your love list. Each item can be in a different color or you can add color all around the page.
- If you think better through images, search for images that inspire each item on your love list and make a collage.
- Close down everything on your computer except for where you are creating your list. Print it or save it.
The next step should be the same regardless of the process. Frame your list or place it somewhere you can see everyday. Don’t let these brilliant, lovely ideas get buried in the stress of debt, or hidden by a long work day. Keep them alive by digging into them every day, even if it’s just 5 minutes. You might bring your entire list to life in 2012, or maybe just 1 item. Even better, a new idea might come from the combination of several love list items.
My Love List
- Yoga every week
- Learn Spanish
- Read 2 books a month or more (you can follow my progress)
- Travel to Italy
- Ski faster (just a little bit faster)
- Plant one flower a month (Thanks Alyson)
- Learn more about street yoga
- Give away more
- Buy only used/local/essential things
- Intentionally feed someone
- Take a last minute family road trip
- Make new friends
- Be even more with even less
- Write a book
- Do meaningful work
Your list can grow or shrink as the year goes on. Don’t hold yourself to exactly how you felt and just what you thought the day you wrote your list. Things change, you change, your list will change and your life will change. That’s beautiful, and so are you.
Happy new year my beautiful friends.