It’s stormy out there, literally and figuratively. I wish I could deliver the big solution, the one thing you need to do to be at peace and feel safe, happy and certain all the time. But I don’t have the answer, yet. While I’m working on it, I have some smaller ideas, mood boosters that can help relieve stress.
If we are to continue to build resilience, lift each other and navigate the storm(s), we need shelters along the way; places to dry off, calm down, and rebuild. Please consider these mood boosters little shelters in the storm. Use as many as you need, as often as you need.
Mood Boosters: 7 Little Shelters In The Storm
1. Under-react. Not everything requires a response. Most things don’t. It feels good to walk away for what isn’t meant for you.
2. Let go of things that make you sad. For example, clothing you spent too much money on but never wear, shoes that hurt your feet or the artifacts of a relationship that went bad. Make room for more joy by letting go of the sadness you don’t need to hold onto anymore.
3. Puppies. If you have your own, cuddle it. If not, go where I go for puppies … Instagram. Here are my favorites.
4. News-free day. Disconnect for 24 hours from the news (social media, TV news, internet news, all news). Take a break from the outrage. Breaking news is broken.
5. Move your body. Take a walk, stretch out on your yoga mat or turn on your favorite music and dance, dance, dance.
6. Move your feelings. Get them from inside to outside. Write down your heart, call a friend, scream into your pillow or respond to this email.
7. Prioritize delight. Does it delight you to bake for your neighbors, read a book under the covers, call a dear friend or watch The Holiday (even when it’s not the holidays)? Whatever it is that gives you that little spark of delight, do it.
On their own, these mood boosters might not be life-changing but perhaps they will offer just enough of a boost to make you smile, help you rest or give you strength to carry yourself or lift someone else who needs shelter in the storm.
In a world full of big, overwhelming things right now, it might be time to honor and appreciate the little things.
P.S. Your bonus mood booster! Listen to Soul & Wit.