In today’s busy, competitive world our focus is usually on the end result. Who can do it cheaper, faster, better? Who is the best? How can I do it just like that?
Today’s mini-mission suggests that while you are racing to the finish line, you are missing the very best parts of the race.
If you could let go of the fear of failure, boycott perfection, and do something that you really care about, could you simply enjoy?
For example …
- If you are writing a book, are you worried about what people will think of it or if it will sell, or are you engaged in putting words on paper and making your thoughts come to life?
- If you are making a pie, are you directing more focus to making sure the pie looks just like the cover of the magazine you bought, or are you wondering how to taste 1 of those sugary apples while your hands are still covered in flour.
- If you are taking a trip, do you feel frustrated over the packing and the traveling and can’t wait to get there, or do you feel adventurous and excited for the possibility of what you might discover on the way?
What if you decided to do something that had no measurable result and didn’t really contribute to the world in a bigger way? Could you do something that didn’t get you closer to a promotion? Could you engage in something that isn’t on your goal list just to enjoy yourself?
We’ve been trained to focus on results and doing our best. Your mini-mission today is to say “screw that”. Yep, say “screw that! I’d rather be completely unreasonable and lose myself in a project or activity than do exactly what’s expected in the most perfect way. Today I will enjoy”
- Instead of being really good as something, enjoy the hell out of it.
- Instead of trying your best, love what you do.
- Instead of getting it done, linger over your work.
- Instead of being perfect, get lost in being creative.
If you to are going to do something, would you rather define your project with words like productivity, deadlines, perfection, structure, outline, better, cheaper, faster or surround yourself with words like creative, linger, love, passion, meaningful, enjoy?
By taking the time to truly enjoy, you can accept the risk that whatever you do may be a complete disaster. Even if it is, you’ve smiled, laughed, connected, created and probably thought of another idea to enjoy. With that, you’ll find it wasn’t a complete disaster after all.
I understand that deadlines exist, products are produced and the world is competitive, but if just for today, you can let that go and immerse yourself in whatever you do, you might find that those other things happen more naturally than you would expect.
When has perfection and expectation derailed your efforts to enjoy? What do want to enjoy right now?
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to Be More with Less and connect with me. Check out courtneycarver.com for simple ideas for your life and business.
For more experiments to simplify your life, read Mini-missions for Simplicity. It’s available on the Amazon Kindle store, but you don’t need a Kindle to read it. Kindle books can also be read using the Free Kindle Reader App for your Web Browser, PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, or Android.